Police detains Al-Jazeera news team

Real-time broadcast of Katyusha strikes violates censorship.

July 17, 2006 02:34
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Police detained an Al-Jazeera news team on Sunday whose live broadcast revealed the site of the deadly Katyusha attack in Haifa, in violation of military censorship rules, police and security officials said. The Israeli crew of the Qatar-based pan-Arab TV station was briefly detained after broadcasting real-time footage which disclosed the area of the rocket attack, a Haifa police spokeswoman said. Military censorship rules ban real-time reporting on the exact location of rocket hits. Eight people were killed and dozens were wounded in the mid-morning attack, the most lethal Hizbullah rocket attack since Israel's withdrawal from South Lebanon six years ago. The station's Israel correspondent, Elias Karram, was among those detained by the police. The media stationed in Israel has been instructed not to broadcast the exact location of the Hizbullah rocket attacks at the time they are occurring, so as not to help the Lebanese-based terror group refine future attacks. The long-standing security regulations have been accepted by Al-Jazeera when they opened their office in Israel. But the police spokeswoman said that the crew broadcast live during the rocket attack from a nearby observation post, and was warned not to do so again. Al-Jazeera said that Israeli authorities ordered its team away from Haifa's seafront oil refinery after it broadcast live footage from the area shortly after the rockets fell around the city, but the TV station denied breaking the law.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town