Police questioning father who left baby in car

August 6, 2007 09:34


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


After the shivah memorial period for his eight-month old daughter Ofir concluded, Eren Balilti, the father who left baby Ofir in a closed car for over ninety minutes was questioned by police Monday under suspicion of criminal negligence in his daughter's death. Both Balilti and his wife arrived as previously planned at the Zebulun Police Station where Balilti was questioned and his wife offered voluntary testimony. Balilti's wife also testified to the phone conversation that she held with her husband immediately before and after the discovery of their daughter's lifeless body in her car seat. According to witnesses, Ofir was blue, and burned so badly that one leg was left without skin. All this, pathologists said, due to being left in the burning vehicle for an hour-and-a-half during a heat wave eleven days ago. Balilti left the baby in the car while he went in to a Kibbutz Sha'ar Ha'amakim garage where he sat with friends and had his ATV repaired. Balilti says that he forgot that the baby was in the vehicle, and was only reminded when his wife called and asked him how the baby was doing. By then, however, it was too late to save Ofir.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings