Police re-open case of Israeli backpacker murdered in India

September 24, 2007 20:55
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Police are not satisfied with the testimonies connected with the murder of Dror Shek, who was killed in July during a trek in the northern Indian mountains, and have decided to review the case, police confirmed Monday. Shek's friends, they suspect, may have been involved. At the time, the Israeli friends with whom Shek was backpacking were portrayed as heroes. They stayed by his body for days in the remote mountain terrain in poor weather until the recovery team arrived on foot, as the difficult topography combined with the stormy weather ruled out any speedy evacuation by helicopter. During the waiting period, the friends were interviewed daily by Israeli radio stations. Only a week after the murder was Dror Shek finally buried in Israel. According to his friends, 23-year-old Shek, from Givat Avni near Tiberias, had been stabbed to death during the trek near the village of Kriganga by locals, who stole his backpack. At the time, Shek's four fellow hikers were questioned by Indian police investigators. They had their passports confiscated but were eventually allowed to return home to Israel. Now, the Israel Police's International Crimes Investigation unit has decided to review all the material connected with the incident, apparently concerned about discrepancies in the testimonies of the four. However, a police source stressed that at this stage there was no formal investigation, and no arrests have been made.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings