Prisoner was poisoned hours before testimony

March 2, 2006 17:48
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Yoni Alzam, the prisoner who died in his cell hours before he was supposed to testify at a murder trial, was poisoned, according to information authorized for publication Thursday by the Tel Aviv District Court. The same court has put a gag order on all other information pertaining to Alzam's death, effective until March 13. Alzam was sentenced last month to life in prison for his part in the 2003 murder of underworld crime figure Hanania Ohana in a Petah Tikva parking lot. He was murdered in December 2005, hours before he was scheduled to testify against known criminal Shimon Zirhan, who allegedly pulled the trigger and shot Ohana in front of his wife and child. An autopsy conducted at the L. Greenberg Institute of Forensic Science had found a chemical substance in Alzam's body, leading police to believe that his death was not natural. At an early stage in the investigation, senior police investigators decided to transfer the investigation to the police's elite Serious and International Crimes Unit (SICU). "This is a complicated and sensitive case since Alzam was murdered in his cell in a high-security prison where he was supposed to be under 24-hour surveillance," police said in December. Police added that the investigation demanded extreme caution since prison guards may have been involved.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings