Program launched for children at risk

Representatives of some 59 municipal councils gathered in Jerusalem to receive essential information about the program.

By
November 25, 2007 21:46
1 minute read.
Program launched for children at risk

school violence. (photo credit: Yaniv Berman/Royalrat Productions)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Welfare and Social Services Minister Isaac Herzog on Sunday unveiled what he called his ministry's "flagship program" to increase the number of social welfare and educational services to treat more than 350,000 children and youth considered at risk over the coming years. Representatives of some 59 municipal councils gathered in Jerusalem to receive essential information about the program, which was designed by a specially formed inter-ministerial committee for Children at Risk set up last January by the Prime Minister's Office and taken over by the Welfare and Social Services Ministry in the spring. The ministry handed out a specially designed training manual, offering more than 600 different ideas for treating children from birth up to age 18, as well as several projects for assisting parents. "The key here is that the budget does not come from within the local authority's individual budget but is a separate fund," said ministry spokesman Nahum Ido, highlighting that the 2008 state budget had already allotted up to NIS 200 million for the first phase of the program, which will initially be spread out over the next three years. There were additional sums to keep successful individual projects running after those three years are up, he said. Both Herzog and Education Minister Yuli Tamir addressed the conference, speaking of the urgency of identifying problems early on in life in an attempt to reach children before they become "at risk." "There is an emphasis on trying to reach young children before they get into trouble," Ido told The Jerusalem Post. "One of the central initiatives is called New Beginnings." Sunday's conference was the first day of training for local authority staff, who will now set up steering committees in their own areas tailoring the various programs to suit their community's specific needs. Six government ministries - Education, Immigrant Absorption, Internal Security, Health and Interior - were involved in drawing up the recommended programs, which was spurred by the findings of the Schmidt Committee for Children. Ido said the Welfare and Social Services Ministry was hopeful that the majority of programs would be up and running during the next year.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN