Proposed J'lem haredi center nixed

Barkat: Multi-million dollar cultural center "an immense waste of money."

By ETGAR LEFKOVITS
January 20, 2006 14:51
1 minute read.
lupolianski standing and smiling 298

lupolianski 224.88 . (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A proposal floated by the Jerusalem Municipality to create an immense multi-million dollar haredi-only cultural center in Jerusalem has been nixed, the city said Thursday. The planned NIS 38 million segregated convention center was to have been even larger than the city's International Convention Center, with seating for 1,200 people and parking for 800 vehicles. The highly controversial idea, which was dubbed Jerusalem Mayor Uri Lupolianski's 'vision' on city documents, was first reported in the Jerusalem weekly Yerushalayim. The plans for the proposed center, drawn up the municipality's haredi cultural department, were obtained by The Jerusalem Post. In the past, Jerusalem's first haredi mayor has repeatedly stressed that he will not favor one section of the public at the expense of the other. The outlandish and grandiose city proposal, which was widely criticized by senior non-haredi city officials, was unlikely ever to have stood up to almost certain court appeals. Lupolianski spokesman Gidi Schmerling said Thursday that the municipal plan was nixed, noting it is not included in the 2006 city budget. He added that every year, dozens of such plans are drawn up by different city departments ahead of the annual budget, while only several proposals are actually approved. Jerusalem opposition leader Nir Barkat blasted the proposal as "an immense and completely unnecessary waste of money" coming at a time when many city halls stood empty. "How long will this farce last?" he said. Last year, city comptroller Shulamit Rubin found that the city rented out three buildings for haredi cultural activities at the price of NIS 1.9 million, but the buildings were never used, and the money was wasted.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN