Rapist granted retrial

Arnoldo Lazarofsky was convicted and sentenced to six years in prison.

December 29, 2005 01:33
2 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


For the third time in recent weeks, the Supreme Court agreed to hold a retrial, this time for a man who was convicted and sentenced to six years in prison for rape. The man, Arnoldo Lazarofsky, has already completed his jail sentence. He was paroled for good behavior after being imprisoned for four years. Lazarofsky was convicted of repeatedly raping a boy for two years, when the boy was 11 to 13 years old. He worked as a cleaner in a country club where the boy and his family were members. The boy also accused another country club cleaner, Gregory Schneider, of raping him when he was 14 and 15 years old. The boy did not tell anyone about these incidents until after he was drafted. The doctors suspected that he was making up stories to avoid combat service and referred him to an army mental health officer. During the weekend before his appointment with the officer, he told his parents for the first time that he had been raped by two men. That Sunday morning, they went to the police to complain. The district court that tried Lazarofsky convicted him, and the Supreme Court rejected Lazarofsky's appeal. Meanwhile, the Tel Aviv Magistrate's Court tried Schneider and convicted him as well. However, in a two-to-one ruling, the district court accepted Schneider's appeal and acquitted him. Lazarofsky asked for a new trial on the basis of Schneider's acquittal and the fact that two courts, dealing with almost identical cases based on the testimony of the same witness (the boy), had come up with contradictory conclusions. Regarding the Supreme Court's Wednesday decision, Justice Miriam Naor wrote, "I have come to the conclusion that there is substantial cause for concern that there has been a miscarriage of justice in this matter." Naor added that the most important piece of evidence in the case was the timing of a conversation the boy had with a girlfriend. This conversation, which he claimed had taken place long before his conscription, was the only external supporting evidence that the boy had indeed been raped. But Naor found that there was reason to believe it might have been just before, or even just after, his conscription, when he knew he had been assigned to the Givati Brigade. Thus, there was reason to suspect that the boy had concocted the entire story and even fabricated "supporting evidence" in order to get out of the combat unit.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town