Reservists complete Lebanon testimony

MK Steinitz: Pattern shows "not just one case, but a whole war poorly handled."

By
October 30, 2006 01:58
1 minute read.
Reservists complete Lebanon testimony

reserve 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

On the last day of hearing reserve soldiers' testimony about the recent war in Lebanon, the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee concerned itself with how to ensure that similar operational mishaps won't happen again. "So much of what we have been hearing has repeated itself so often, we know it's not just one case of poor management, but rather a whole war poorly handled," MK Yuval Steinitz (Likud) said Sunday. "The question is whether this committee will do justice to these soldiers and make sure we don't need committees like this again."

  • The second Lebanon war: JPost.com special report Sunday's meeting was the third, and last, in which reserve soldiers could come and present their eyewitness testimony. The MKs will now deliberate and present their findings in a report detailing the IDF's handling of the war. More than 40 soldiers appeared before the committee in meetings held in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, and MKs said their personal testimonies drew a disturbing picture. Many of the reservists complained of the same general problems - poor communication, confusing orders and lack of supplies. On Sunday, St.-Sgt. Itai Nivoy testified that he had treated many wounded soldiers as a combat medic stationed near Bint Jabil. However, he said, he had not been equipped with an updated medic's kit, most of his medicine had expired in 1989 and other important medical supplies had been missing. "We were lucky, simply lucky, that we didn't have any serious cases where somebody died because of this gross, gross oversight," Nivoy said. "But we were put in a very dangerous situation where a lot could have gone wrong and people could have died." Like many of the others who appeared before the committee, Nivoy said he had come to speak to the MKs not out of anger, but because he wanted to make sure that something would be done in time "for the next war." "We know that they can't change what has happened, so we aren't holding a grudge," said a soldier who gave his name as Dan. "We just want to know that for the next war, when we get called up to the reserves again, the army will get its act together." The Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee is expected to relay its findings to the Winograd Committee, the government-appointed committee that will examine the army's conduct since it withdrew from southern Lebanon in May 2000.

  • Related Content

    Jisr az-Zarq
    April 3, 2014
    Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

    By SHARON UDASIN