School strike drags on despite progress

SSTO head Ran Erez vows: "Until we have an agreement in our hands... we won't go back to work.

By EHUD ZION WALDOKS, JPOST STAFF
November 11, 2007 07:57
1 minute read.
School strike drags on despite progress

erez 224.88. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The secondary school teachers' strike will continue Sunday after the Secondary School Teachers Union's administration decided the previous night not to temporarily suspend the shutdown, despite what Treasury officials said were significant concessions they made on Friday. Most high schools and some junior high schools have been closed since October 10. The two sides are to meet for further talks at the National Labor Court in Jerusalem on Sunday morning and the court has ordered both sides to submit written reports on the talks before the day is out. At the start of Saturday night's meeting, union head Ran Erez said: "Until we have an agreement in our hands and not just declarations, we will not go back to work, even if this takes another two months." Progress had been reported after Friday's meeting at the court between Erez and representatives of the Finance and Education ministries. Treasury wage director Eli Cohen offered a series of concessions to try to end the strike: no attempts to get court orders against the strikers for two weeks; a commitment to budget NIS 100 million toward additional teaching hours; reducing the number of students per class by 2008; and a 26% to 34% raise in return for implementing the Dovrat reforms. The teachers have been adamant that they receive an immediate 10% raise, a demand not addressed by Cohen's proposal. Also Sunday, the senior university lecturers' strike enters its 19th day.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN