Settlers accused the army Saturday night of unnecessarily desecrating Shabbat by evacuating an illegal outpost on Friday after sundown. The settlers said that the evacuation of the Givat Ha-Or outpost near Beit El on Friday night was not "life-threatening" - an obligatory condition according to military regulations to run operations over Shabbat.
"It's wrong for the army to break Shabbat," said outpost spokesman Pini Root. "It's an instance that must not happen again." On Friday, dozens of teens set up camp with tents and food on the spot of the small Givat Ha-Or outpost near Beit El that had been evacuated by the IDF on Tuesday.
On Friday, just before Shabbat the border police arrived and began filming them. They continued filming into Shabbat and then confiscated the teen's equipment and asked them to leave. The teens agreed and walked to Beit El, said Root.
The outpost, which had been mostly manned by teens, was set up last Hannuka. The army was unavailable for comment.