Several wounded by rocket in Tiberias

MDA teams treat 13 for light wounds, more for shock throughout the day.

July 23, 2006 18:13
4 minute read.
Several wounded by rocket in Tiberias

haifa firemen 298.88 ap. (photo credit: AP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Breaking a rare quiet morning without rocket barrages throughout northern Israel, Hizbullah resumed its attacks on Monday afternoon, firing around 70 rockets. A forest fire raged near Kiryat Shmona as a result of the attacks, destroying 2,000 dunams of land. Since the fighting began, 500,000 trees were burned by blazes. One person was lightly wounded in Shlomi; rockets were also fired at the Krayot (Haifa Bay area), Acre, Nahariya and Safed. Two people were lightly wounded when the barrage struck Tiberias soon after. A rocket scored a direct hit on a home in the Kiryat Shmona area shortly thereafter, although no one was wounded in the incident. Altogether, MDA teams treated 49 people on Monday as a result of Katyusha attacks on the north. Thirteen victims were lightly wounded, and the rest were treated for shock.

Over 90 rockets were fired at northern Israel on Sunday, the 12th day since the war in the north erupted. In total, 93 people were wounded, most of whom suffered from shock. Two people were killed in a barrage that struck Haifa in the morning hours. The rocket that fell in the courtyard of their large apartment complex in Haifa late Sunday afternoon caused the Sabag family to pack its bags and head for the home of relatives in Rishon Lezion. "I'm not a hero," said Nurit Sabag as she sat on her front lawn while police and emergency personnel cleaned up the broken glass and shards of metal from the missile. The hit to the complex was one of more than 14 rockets that Hizbullah successfully launched from Lebanon into Israel's third largest city on Sunday. Earlier in the day, a rocket killed Shimon Glickglich, 60, as he drove his car on a main street in the city. A second rocket that fell on a carpentry shop in Kirtat Ata killed Haviv Ova'ad, 48. Upwards of 14 people were wounded in the attacks, including one seriously and two moderately. There were so many successive warning sirens that, in a number of instances, rescue and clean-up crews who came to the scenes of the rocket attacks had to race for cover, even as they worked to clear the sites of the initial attacks. But no siren rang out around 5 p.m. on Sunday afternoon to warn the Sabag family, or the dozens of others who live in their neighborhood near the sea in Haifa, that a rocket was about to fall. Shir Sabag, 13, and her older sister Shavi said that the absence of a warning explained why they were not in the protected room when the rocket hit a tree, a gas balloon and the wall of the apartment building. When they heard the loud explosion they first raced to a safe spot in the house, but when informed that the rocket might have hit a gas balloon they ran out of their home in the bottom corner of the complex to a spot several doors away from the attack. They told The Jerusalem Post that they had spent their days and nights in fear since the rockets first landed in the city almost two weeks ago, but that it was their mother who was determined to stay. "How long can you spend living in someone else's home?" asked Nurit. "I thought it was better to be here." Now she understands she was mistaken. The youngest daughter, five-year-old Shoval, was at the hospital getting stitches for a small head injury unrelated to the rockets when the rocket struck. Her first question upon arriving home with a small bandage on her head was, "Are our bags packed?" But not everyone was ready to leave. Even though the rocket shattered all the windows in her home, Marina Gzhibovsky said she was determined to stay. Unlike her husband, who headed out to his job as a construction worker, taking his 16-year-old son along with him, she listened to the Home Front Command instructions that she remain at home. Typically when a warning siren goes off, she said, she and her neighbors head into the small stairwell outside her apartment door rather than racing for the communal shelter nearby. "I didn't leave the house and see, I was hit anyway," she said as she looked out her window. An immigrant from Russia, she considered it lucky that her son was not home. Since the rockets started falling, she said, he too had tried to stay inside and had spent many hours on his computer in one of the rooms damaged by the rocket.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town