Sharon's condition serious but stable; vital signs normal.

Intracranial pressure relieved; Hadassah experts to confer Sunday a.m.

January 6, 2006 22:11
3 minute read.
Sharon's condition serious but stable; vital signs normal.

sharon olmert 298 88 ap. (photo credit: AP [file])


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Doctors at Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusalem announced that the CT scan conducted Saturday on Prime Minister Ariel Sharon showed a "very slight" improvement. Professor Shlomo Mor-Yosef, the hospital's director general, said that the intracranial pressure had decreased and that Sharon's vital signs were normal. Mor-Yosef reiterated that the prime minister's condition was stable, but nevertheless serious. He also said that while the latest CT scan showed that although the left side of Sharon's brain appeared "normal," there would be no way of assessing the extent of the damage caused by the prime minister's cerebral hemorrhage until doctors brought Sharon out of his induced coma. On Sunday morning, Hadassah neurologists, neurosurgeons, and anesthesiologists will meet and discuss continued treatment. Mor-Yosef also told reporters that representatives of Tel Hashomer, Ichilov, Soroka, Poria, Barzilai, Bikur Holim, and Sha'arei Zedek hospitals had all called Hadassah with messages of support for the staff's efforts to save Sharon's life. Earlier Saturday, Eli Landau, a top adviser to Sharon, told the press that "The CT scans from Saturday morning show an additional improvement." "I am now more optimistic and can believe that Sharon will improve from his current state," Landau added, sounding one of the first notes of optimism since the prime minister's hospitalization. Sharon was reported in stable serious condition Saturday morning following a third operation to stop intracranial bleeding on Friday. Hadassah hospital spokesman Ron Krumer said there had been no change in the prime minister's condition since that third operation, and hospital emphasized that because of the Sabbath, the next planned update on the prime minister's condition would be Sunday. At 5:35 p.m. on Friday, Mor-Yosef briefed the press outside of the emergency room. Mor-Yosef prefaced his remarks by saying that although Hadassah as an institution honors the Sabbath, the gravity of Sharon's situation necessitated constant updates. Mor-Yosef confirmed that the intracranial pressure had been relieved, and blood clots remaining from the previous operation were successfully drained. Professor Mor-Yosef explained that Hadassah neurologists and neurosurgeons agreed that the most recent CT scan results showed a 'significant' improvement in Sharon's condition. He added that doctors were working to adjust the placement of the catheter, and that Sharon would be moved to neurological intensive care, where he would be closely monitored. The latest CT scan followed a three-hour operation earlier Friday, the third the prime minister had undergone since he arrived at the hospital Wednesday night. Earlier Friday Sharon was rushed back to the operating room after a precautionary CT scan performed on him late Friday morning showed new bleeding in the same area of the brain and an expansion in his cerebral ventricles. The prime minister has been in an induced coma and respirated since Thursday; on Sunday, doctors plan to bring him out of the coma in order to assess the extent of the damage caused by the severe brain hemorrhaging. Sharon was first brought to Hadassah-University Hospital Wednesday night after complaining of weakness and chest pressure and pain. While on his way to the hospital, Sharon's spokesmen claimed that the prime minister was conscious and able to speak, but had complained that he was suffering from weakness and "felt ill." It initially appeared that his condition was not life-threatening. According to well-placed sources, there were two deteriorations, the first just prior to the arrival at Hadassah and the second, upon entering the trauma unit. While at the hospital it was discovered that the prime minister suffered from massive cerebral bleeding. After a six-hour operation that continued for most of Wednesday night, the prime minister returned to the operating room early Thursday morning following a CT scan that revealed additional areas of cerebral bleeding. Click here to send support message

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town