Soldier killed, one seriously wounded in Gaza operations

Two soldiers lightly hurt in fierce clashes near Sufa Crossing; Palestinian gunman killed; soldier moderately wounded in Nablus.

October 29, 2007 11:01
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An IDF soldier was killed and another was seriously wounded Monday during two IDF operations in the Gaza Strip to dismantle Palestinian terrorist infrastructure near the security fence. In the first incident, an IDF reserve soldier was killed in clashes with Palestinian gunmen near the Sufa Crossing in southern Gaza. The reservist force came under heavy fire, which wounded one soldier seriously and two lightly. The soldiers were evacuated to Soroka Hospital in Beersheba, where the seriously wounded soldier died of his wounds. A Palestinian gunman was also killed in the clashes. In the second incident, near the northern Gaza town of Beit Hanun, Palestinians fired a rocket propelled grenade at troops operating near the border fence, seriously wounding one of the soldiers. He was evacuated to Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon. IDF troops, backed up by tanks and helicopters, had entered the area near the northern Gaza town early Monday morning to track down terrorists and destroy weapons smuggling tunnels. They encountered fierce resistance, including anti-tank missiles that were fired at the soldiers. An IAF helicopter fired missiles at the armed Palestinians. Palestinians reported that a Hamas operative and a civilian were killed. Also during the Beit Hanun operation, a terror cell discovered a building where soldiers had taken up a position and began shelling it with mortars. Several soldiers suffered light burns. Also Monday morning, a soldier from a Givati Brigade reconnaissance unit was moderately wounded during an arrest operation in Nablus's Ein Bet Ilmeh refugee camp. The soldier was evacuated to Beilinson Hospital in Petah Tikva. During the operation, three fugitives were arrested. In overnight operations elsewhere in the West Bank, IDF soldiers arrested 17 Palestinian fugitives. All of the detainees were transferred to security forces for further interrogation. Meanwhile, Palestinians fired four mortar shells from Gaza toward the border fence on Monday afternoon. Three of the shells landed in central Gaza while the other landed north of the Strip. No one was wounded and no damage was reported.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town