TA rape suspect may be serial offender

Remand extended for Bat Yam resident suspected in at least 2 rapes.

August 23, 2010 18:45
1 minute read.
Victim [Illustrative photo]

Rape victim. (photo credit: Judy Siegel-Itzkovich)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A serial rapist may be in the custody of Tel Aviv Police after a man arrested for an attempted rape in Jaffa on August 14 confessed Monday to a violent rape that had taken place on August 13 in a women’s bathroom at the Tel Aviv Central Bus Station.

The suspect, 19-year-old Bat Yam resident Inan Vadaj, appeared in the Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court on Monday, where his remand was extended until Wednesday, even though police had asked the court to keep him in custody for five days.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Vadaj was arrested nine days ago after a 20-year-old woman told police she had been attacked in Jaffa by a man who tried to strangle her and rape her, but fled when she began shouting.

The complainant said she had been with friends when Vadaj, an acquaintance of one of her friends, agreed to walk her home. On the way, Vadaj allegedly told the woman he knew a shortcut and while the two were walking through a passageway between two buildings he tried to rape her.

The next day, when police came to arrest Vadaj, he allegedly tried to stab one of the arresting officers.

While in custody, the suspect confessed to the Jaffa attack and was indicted on charges of attempted rape. Police then decided to see if he had been the one who carried out the bus station rape the day before, and took a DNA sample, which matched samples taken at the scene of both attacks.

Vadaj finally confessed to the bus station rape, but said he had been drunk at the time and unaware of his actions.

That victim was a 40-year-old woman, who said a man followed her into the 6th floor women’s restroom and dragged her into a stall, where he stole her phone, beat her and brutally raped her while she pleaded for her life.

The bus station rape took place in the morning, but police said they do not know of any witnesses.They added that they are combing through unsolved rape files to determine whether Vadaj is linked to other sexual assaults in the city, and are asking any member of the public who has been attacked to come forward.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town