Two toddlers perish in Golan fire

Initial investigation indicates that an electrical short started the blaze.

August 28, 2007 23:41
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Tragedy struck in the pastoral Golan town of Majdal Shams early Tuesday morning when two small children perished in a house fire as they slept unattended. Selina Zahawa, four, and her younger brother, two-year-old Tawfik succumbed to suffocation and smoke inhalation. Their mother, Najawa, had left the toddlers alone in the house, closing all of the doors and windows before she departed for an appointment at a local health clinic. At the time, the children's father was working on a construction site in the center of the country. When Najawa Zahawa, who is pregnant, came back from her blood tests, she found her home full of smoke. Her screams brought the neighbors running, and they pulled the two children, both unconscious, out of the burning house. Although they were rushed to a nearby clinic, Magen David Adom personnel pronounced both children dead after attempts at resuscitation failed. It took fire trucks just under 30 minutes to climb the twisting mountain roads to the town, which is the highest community located on the Israeli side of Mount Hermon. By the time they arrived, all they could do was extinguish the flames that had already gutted the family's house. The initial investigation carried by fire investigators and police detectives from the Golan Station indicated that an electrical short started the blaze, and that the house filled with smoke so quickly that the children may have suffocated in their sleep. The tragedy was strikingly reminiscent of a fire earlier this summer that claimed the lives of three young siblings in Safed. In that case, the father left the house to pray, locking his wife and children inside. He too returned to discover his home ablaze; three out of four of his children had died in the flames. Only his wife and their youngest child survived after his wife, trapped in the burning house, placed the baby outside on the windowsill to allow it to breathe fresh air.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town