UN Palestinian reparations proposal upsets FM [p. 2]

By
October 30, 2006 01:37

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Foreign Ministry on Sunday said it was upset by steps United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan has taken to open a new Vienna-based office to register reparations claims by Palestinians who have been harmed as a result of the construction of Israel's security fence. Annan's proposal to establish the office, to be known as the Registrar of Damage, is the result of a 2004 decision by the UN General Assembly to hold Israel accountable for damages caused to Palestinians by the security fence. Still, the plan made public at the end of last week needs the General Assembly's approval to be put into practice. The office's purpose is to collect information that could be used in any future judicial proceedings against Israel as the result of the fence. The UN has already determined that the fence's current route is illegal in places where it is built on land that is beyond the pre-1967 border. "We find this decision disappointing," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev. "It's another example of the United Nations establishing a one-sided bureaucracy" and "returning to traditional forms of behavior." He asked, "What has the UN done to help people [Israelis] killed in terrorist attacks?"

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN