Website revealing Cast Lead 'war criminals' removed

Organization offers cash prize to whoever finds website's publishers; the site listed contact information and photos of many soldiers.

By
November 18, 2010 16:07
2 minute read.
operation cast lead

cast lead 311. (photo credit: kobi gideon)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A website publishing a list of 200 IDF soldiers that participated in Operation Cast Lead under the headline "Israeli War Criminals" was removed on Thursday.

The website, launched on Tuesday, features names, photographs, ranks, positions, birthdates, identity numbers and addresses of what it claims "the direct perpetrators" of the operation, IDF soldiers that "range from low-level field commanders to the highest echelons of the Israeli army." The information is "pirated," and was received and published anonymously.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
IDF investigates 400 complaints over Cast Lead conduct
Amnesty calls on ICC to act on Cast Lead ‘war crimes’
Ben-Ari asks UN to probe US for war crimes

"Not only did they perform on behalf of a murderous state mechanism but actively encouraged other people to do the same," the site claims. "They bear a distinctive personal responsibility."

The site says that by "underlining [specific soldiers] we are purposefully directing attention to individuals rather than the static structures through which they operate...It is to these persons and others like them to which we must object and bring our plaints to bear upon."

The site also "encourages people to seek out other such similar information. It is readily available in the public sphere and inside public officials' locked cabinets." It also asks readers to "disseminate [the information] widely."

"This project...has only just begun," the site reads. "Do your bit so that this virtual list may come to bear upon the physical."



One dissemination strategy has been foiled, as Facebook has prevented users from posting the list on its site. The social networking site called the list of soldiers "blocked content that has previously been flagged as abusive."

The site taken down two days after it was launched, due to violations of its host's terms of service.

The "My Israel" movement has announced an NIS 10,000 cash prize for whoever has information that will lead to "catching" those who are responsible for posting the 200 names. The movement said that its 11,400 members will pay for the prize.

The organization's website also has a petition, titled "We are All War Criminals," in support of the soldiers listed online. "The fighters defend us, now it's our turn to defend the fighters," the site reads.

The IDF Spokesperson's Unit had no comment on the matter.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN