Would-be suicide bomber killed near Karni crossing

October 11, 2006 23:51
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A suicide attack was thwarted late Tuesday night when IDF troops shot and killed a Palestinian wearing an explosives belt when he tried infiltrating into Israel from the Gaza Strip. Earlier, IAF aircraft bombed the home of Mariam Farhat, also known as Umm Nidal - literally "mother of the struggle" - a Hamas parliament member and the mother of three sons who were killed during the Intifada. Residents were warned in advance of the attacked and, while the building was severely damaged, no one was injured. The IDF said that the strike was on a building that housed a weapons warehouse and manufacturing facility. Farhat made headlines when in 2002 she was filmed preparing her 17-year-old son Muhammad for a suicide attack he perpetrated in which five students in the pre-military academy in the Gaza settlement of Atzmona were killed. The Palestinian killed Tuesday night was shot after he was spotted by soldiers while trying to enter Israel near the Karni crossing. His body was transferred back to Gaza on Tuesday night. Another Palestinian was shot and killed overnight Tuesday in Nablus, near the security fence. According to the army, he was armed and had attacked the troops. Palestinians claimed, however, that he was standing by the window in a nearby house when he was hit. Relatives identified him as Abdullah Mansour, 31, a member of the Aksa Martyrs Brigades, who was wanted by Israel. They said he was killed inside his home by a single bullet to the head as he looked out his window at gun battles taking place between terror operatives and IDF troops. Meanwhile, in overnight arrest operations, the IDF detained 19 terror suspects in the area of the security fence. They were transferred to the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) for interrogation.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town