Jewish GIs mark High Holy Days through the generations

The stories of American servicemen who observed the High Holy Days not in conventional synagogues, but on far-flung battlefields.

September 25, 2006 02:30
us jewish soldier

jewish gi 298 88. (photo credit: Courtesy)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


"Who shall live and who shall die. Who shall reach the end of his days and who shall not." Ralph Goodman recited those words in a hillside tent in southeastern Belgium. Warren Zundell's "shul" was a patch of no man's land somewhere in North Korea. For Robert Cirkus, it was jungle clearing in the bug-infested Central Highlands of Vietnam. And for Lee Mish, it was Saddam Hussein's former palace. The four men have never met, but they share an uncommon bond. They represent four generations of Jewish servicemen for whom the High Holy Days - and their signature Unetanah Tokef prayer - took on new meaning. For all Jews, the words of the emotionally charged Unetanah Tokef - the liturgical poem which is recited on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, and which describes the consequences and challenges of the Day of Judgment - are a powerful reminder of mortality. All the more so for Jews serving their country in wartime - such as Goodman, Zundell, Cirkus and Mish - where every day is Judgment Day and where prayer, righteousness and repentance can't always avert a decree of death. Here are the stories of these American servicemen who observed the High Holy Days not in conventional synagogues, but on far-flung battlefields. The worship services they participated in were often improvised and incomplete. But the jarring juxtaposition of war and prayer, faith and fear, continues to resonate with these men. A Tent on the Side of a Hill, Fays, Belgium September 1944 "Colonel, the Jewish community wants to observe Yom Kippur. What can you do to help us?" Ralph Goodman, attached to the 1st US Army's Headquarters Commandant in Belgium, was unable to celebrate Rosh Hashana because his unit was traveling. But Yom Kippur was fast approaching, and the 24-year-old enlistee from Pittsfield, Massachusetts, was determined that the Jewish servicemen, now encamped at a temporary base near Verviers, Belgium, be given a place to pray. He had already approached the 1st Army's chief chaplain, who offered nothing except a few prayer books. But Goodman's commanding officer, Harry Goslee, was more accommodating. He ordered a large blackout hospital tent set up on a hillside, with chairs and a portable electric generator. On Yom Kippur, September 27, 1944, about 25 soldiers and airmen congregated in that tent. Two Orthodox laymen acted as cantor and rabbi. Goodman sat by the tent flap opening, his gun on his lap. He was juggling several different prayer books, trying to find the correct pages for Unetanah Tokef. He finally located the prayer and recited the words. But what he really was saying that day was, "Please, God, bring my buddies and me home." Suddenly he felt a tap on his shoulder. He looked up to see a chaplain he didn't recognize, a fresh-faced, sandy-haired man about 30, who asked permission to address the troops. "How lovely are your tents, Oh Jacob," he began, intoning the words to a prayer Jews say each morning. He talked about five minutes, thanking the men for allowing him to speak and commending them for assembling a service. Goodman, who still lives in Pittsfield, thinks about that service often, proud that he and his buddies were able to make it happen. He wishes he could share another Yom Kippur with them. But 62 years later, he still regrets that he never asked the name of that fresh-faced Christian chaplain who reached out to a group of Jews on the holiest day of their year. "God bless that man," he said. An All-Jewish Convoy, North Korea October 1951 Warren Zundell, an orthopedic surgeon with the 11th Evacuation Hospital in Wonju, South Korea, wasn't eager to attend Rosh Hashana services. It meant traveling 70 kilometers on an unpaved, mountainous road to 10th Army Corps headquarters, over the border into North Korea. Zundell, 27, had a baby daughter back in Fall River, Massachusetts, whom he had never seen, and he didn't want to risk encountering snipers or land mines. But Zundell was the unit's only Jewish officer, and the Catholic chaplain on his base was insistent that Zundell escort the convoy. "There are about 30 Jewish boys around here who want to go," said the priest, who planned to remain in Wonju at the hospital. On Rosh Hashana eve, September 30, 1951, in the priest's jeep with a white cross painted on the hood, Zundell led the way. A few truckloads of Jewish soldiers, all heavily armed, followed. Perhaps the only all-Jewish convoy ever to travel into North Korea, they arrived safely several hours later at the camp. The next morning, a rabbi conducted services in a large tent, with about 300 soldiers, many who had traveled there from other units, sitting on the ground or on boxes. There was no ark, no Torah and no prayer books, except for the rabbi's. "I just sat there and listened," Zundell recalled. "I didn't think about where I was." After services, he traveled back to Wonju with the same soldiers. Even less enthusiastic about observing Yom Kippur, Zundell was again induced to return to the prayer site. On Yom Kippur day, the convoy again traveled above the 38th parallel, the dividing line between North and South Korea. The scene was identical to what Zundell remembered from Rosh Hashana, except, instead of 300 soldiers in the tent, there were now 150. "Where are the other boys?" Zundell asked the servicemen sitting near him. "Heavy casualties during the week," one of them replied. Since then, every Rosh Hashana, the Coral Gables, Florida, resident sits in temple and remembers Korea. "It never leaves my mind," he said. "I think about those boys who didn't make it back for Yom Kippur." A Jungle Clearing, Central Highlands, Vietnam September 1966 While stationed in Vietnam with the 25th infantry, Robert Cirkus often didn't know what day it was. But somehow the 21-year-old draftee from Passaic, New Jersey, knew the High Holy Days were coming. And he knew he wanted to attend services. A rabbi was dispatched to the forward base camp in the Central Highlands where Cirkus was working as a weapons repairman. Around noon on Rosh Hashana, September 15, 1966, Cirkus, three infantrymen and a medic, all strangers to one another, gathered together in a cleared-out jungle area. The rabbi set up a small ark on a bench in the back of his open Jeep. Inside was a traveling Torah. Cirkus and the others sat on the ground in the hot sun, the air muggy and bug-infested. He wore a tallit over his uniform, holding his submachine gun and his prayer book on his lap. Cirkus, who now lives in Clifton, New Jersey, remembers that the service was truncated and that he and the others were not really at ease. They were praying, but they were also alert to every sound, especially gunshots off in the jungle. He knows he wasn't thinking about life and death. Or about Judgment Day. He didn't want to think about what was really going on. Saddam's Palace, Tikrit, Iraq September 2004 September 2004 was a tense time in Tikrit, where special agent Lee Mish was stationed. Roads were impassable, bridges were blown up and food and water were rationed. Plus, with flights grounded, the rabbi assigned to Tikrit couldn't leave Baghdad. Despite these obstacles, Rosh Hashana eve services were held on September 15. And Mish, 27, a Conservative Jew from Sharon, Massachusetts, who enlisted in the army nine years ago, walked to Saddam Hussein's former palace, now under control of the US military. There, in a large room with marble floors and ceilings and a gold chandelier, a room once used by Saddam's servants, Mish encountered three other Jews. They included a captain who served as the Jewish lay leader, a sergeant and a civilian contractor. Wearing kippot, the uniformed men sat around a card table on folding chairs, their guns by their sides. For about 20 minutes, they read from prayer books sent by Hebrew school students in Wisconsin. Mish doesn't remember the specifics, but he recalls saying prayers for all the soldiers and being aware of Rosh Hashana's message of mortality. "When you're in a situation where your friends are dying, where people all around you are dying, any time you pray, it hits home more," he said. Despite its informality, that service resonated with Mish, now stationed in Wurzburg, Germany. Rosh Hashana had always been important to him, a way of confirming his Jewishness. But being in Iraq had given him more time to reflect on death and destruction, and he was feeling more religious while stationed there. Also, he had recently learned from his Iraqi translator, who was born and raised in Mosul, Iraq, that during Saddam's reign, the Jews in that area were barred from observing holidays in public and were forced to celebrate secretly in their homes. That day, however, Jewish soldiers were praying openly in Saddam's palace. "I felt honored," Mish said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery