1 dead, 2 injured in New York mikve installation explosion

City officials say homeowners did not have permit to install the Jewish ritual bath.

By
June 7, 2006 16:09
1 minute read.
1 dead, 2 injured in New York mikve installation explosion

explosion 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A construction worker was killed and two others were injured on Wednesday when their attempt to waterproof a basement and install a Mikve (Jewish ritual bath) caused an explosion strong enough to blow out a wall in a home, the fire department said. Witnesses described a furious blast that shook nearby homes, knocked out windows and covered the Brooklyn neighborhood in smoke. They said at least one victim stumbled out of the house naked and on fire. The workers were using a type of epoxy sealant that is flammable and is not for indoor projects, fire department Deputy Chief Michael Quinn said. When one of the workers turned on a power tool, it caused the explosion, which blew out a wall on the first floor of the house and buckled another wall. The two men who survived the explosion, which occurred around 11:30 a.m were hospitalized with burns on about 85 percent of their bodies. The third man, Antonio Tapia, 27, of Burlington, N.J., was declared dead at the scene. City officials said the homeowners did not have a permit to install the mikve. Firefighters at the scene said the basement did not have proper ventilation. Five firefighters suffered minor injuries in battling the resulting blaze.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF