3 indicted, 1 cleared in Oslo synagogue attack

Two of the suspects also indicted for plotting to attack the US or Israeli embassies in the Norwegian capital.

By
September 4, 2007 17:12
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Three men have been indicted on charges connected with an attack on an Oslo synagogue or plotting to attack the US or Israeli embassies in the Norwegian capital, the national prosecutor said Tuesday. All charges related to the cases were dropped against a fourth man, said prosecutor Kristine Rise. He had been identified in earlier court rulings as 29-year-old Mohammed Adnan Nabi. The others have also denied any wrongdoing, and their attorneys said the basis for the indictments was weak. Arfan Bhatti, 30, was indicted on charges of firing gunshots at Norway's main synagogue in September 2006, for conspiring to commit a terror attack on the embassies and on other unrelated charges. Andreas Bog Kristiansen, 27, was indicted with Bhatti on charges of plotting to use explosives or weapons to attack the US or Israeli embassies, and conspiring to commit armed robbery. Ibrahim Oezbabacan, 29, was indicted, with Bhatti, for either firing or being an accomplice to 13 shots being fired at the Oslo synagogue. Rise said the indictment was made on Friday, but that she had declined to discuss it until she was certain it had been presented to all four suspects. "Now I'm sure it has been, so I can comment," she said. The charges were in part based on recordings from an electronic bug police planted in one suspect's car, in which some suspects allegedly discussed blowing up the embassies. Police won a court order Monday to continue holding Bhatti - who has been in detention since shortly after the synagogue shootings - for eight more weeks. There two other suspects were released earlier. No date had been set for the trial of the three suspects.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF