French police are on the trail of a suspect in a deadly bombing outside a Paris synagogue, a case that has gone unsolved for 27 years, a judicial official said Thursday.
A bomb in the saddlebag of a motorbike killed four people and wounded nine on Oct. 3, 1980, at the synagogue on Rue Copernic in central Paris. The case has remained open since then.
Investigators working off a recent lead believe the suspected bomber is a 55-year-old Lebanese-Canadian of Palestinian origin who spent time after the attack in the United States before moving to Canada, where he still lives, Le Figaro newspaper said.
A judicial official confirmed some details of Le Figaro's report, while saying investigators were angry that word had been leaked to media, fearing it could jeopardize the investigation.