Official: French police chasing suspect in 1980 synagogue bombing

October 11, 2007 15:07


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


French police are on the trail of a suspect in a deadly bombing outside a Paris synagogue, a case that has gone unsolved for 27 years, a judicial official said Thursday. A bomb in the saddlebag of a motorbike killed four people and wounded nine on Oct. 3, 1980, at the synagogue on Rue Copernic in central Paris. The case has remained open since then. Investigators working off a recent lead believe the suspected bomber is a 55-year-old Lebanese-Canadian of Palestinian origin who spent time after the attack in the United States before moving to Canada, where he still lives, Le Figaro newspaper said. A judicial official confirmed some details of Le Figaro's report, while saying investigators were angry that word had been leaked to media, fearing it could jeopardize the investigation.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery


Cookie Settings