Oslo terror plot suspects held

The two men planned to blow up the US and Israeli embassies.

By
September 23, 2006 19:59
1 minute read.
Oslo terror plot suspects held

oslo shul 298 88. (photo credit: )

An Oslo court Saturday ordered two men accused of plotting to blow up the US and Israeli embassies held for four weeks pending possible indictment. A ruling on two others charged in the case was expected later Saturday. The Oslo Appeals Court said it found a police tape, obtained with an electronic bug, of two suspects discussing blowing up one of the embassy to be sufficient grounds to hold them for a police investigation.

  • Oslo terrorists targeted ambassador The men were arrested Tuesday in connection with an attack on the Mosaic Religious Community synagogue, where the building was hit by 13 bullets early Sunday without causing injury. On Thursday, they were also charged with plotting terrorism. The four, whose names were withheld, all denied the charges, and their defense lawyers said talking about attacks is not the same as planning them. The Oslo Appeals Court allowed Friday's detention hearing to remain open to the public on the condition that details of the proceedings were not reported. The charges were in part based on recordings from an electronic bug in one suspect's car, NRK and other major Norwegian news media said. The reports said the suspects discussed blowing up the embassies and cutting the throat of Israeli ambassador to Norway, Miriam Shomrat. Both Shomrat and US ambassador to Norway Ben K. Whitney expressed concern over the threats, with Whitney saying "We are watching developments closely." Police have been tightlipped about the investigation and refused to disclose names and personal details about the four suspects, other than saying they all are in their 20s. A 29-year-old Norwegian-Pakistani, described as the ringleader by police, had been under police surveillance since late June, after he was briefly detained by German police on suspicion of plotting terror against the World Cup Soccer tournament. He was released without charges. Last week, the same man was charged with firing gunshots at the home of a Norwegian crime reporter on the outskirts of Oslo, the state radio network NRK reported.


  • Related Content

    Joan Rivers
    August 28, 2014
    Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

    By JPOST.COM STAFF