Prague again bans neo-Nazi march

March scheduled to take place a day after Kristallnacht anniversary through Jewish quarter.

By
October 30, 2007 17:16
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prague City Hall said Tuesday it has restored a ban on a march planned for next month by a right-wing extremist group through the Czech capital's Jewish quarter. The march had been scheduled to take place November 10, a day after the anniversary of Kristallnacht - the 1938 night of terror when the Nazis attacked synagogues and Jewish homes and businesses throughout Germany and parts of Austria. The event - organized by the Young National Democrats, which is linked to the National Resistance, a neo-Nazi group - was condemned by Jewish leaders and Czech President Vaclav Klaus said it was a "politically and morally unacceptable act which dishonors the memory of the victims of Nazi crimes." Organizers said the march was meant to protest the deployment of Czech troops in Iraq. Prague City Hall originally banned the march on October 4, saying it would incite "hatred and intolerance of citizens because of their nationality, origin and religious faith." That ruling was later overturned by Prague's Municipal Court over procedural issues. The city appealed to a higher court. No ruling has been issued so far. In the meantime, Prague authorities said they found the announcement of the march from August 27 was not valid because the group legally did not exist until September 13. They said the organizers would have to formally inform City Hall again. That was done on Monday, and on Tuesday the march was banned for the same reasons as before, City Hall spokesman Jiri Wolf said. Prague's Jews had said that if the march went ahead they would gather at the same time to commemorate victims of the Nazi pogrom and prevent the march from going through the Jewish quarter.

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF