Suspected war criminal's conviction not upheld

By
March 1, 2007 12:26

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The 1944 conviction and sentencing of a Hungarian man suspected of war crimes committed during World War II cannot be enforced, a court said Thursday, announcing a ruling it made earlier this month. Sandor Kepiro, 93, was identified by the Simon Wiesenthal Center as having been convicted twice in Hungarian courts, in 1944 and 1946, but never punished for his alleged role in killings committed by Hungarian forces in Novi Sad, Serbia, after they entered the region in the wake of the Nazi occupation of Yugoslavia during World War II. The Budapest Municipal Court issued a statement saying the ruling by a Hungarian military court which sentenced Kepiro to 10 years in 1944 cannot be enforced. The court said the ruling was made on February 19, and was made public on Thursday. It can be appealed within eight days, the court said.

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF