Wiesenthal Center protests against Romanian gov't

Say it failed to complete investigations in cases of four Romanian Nazi war crimes suspects.

By
May 31, 2006 20:24
1 minute read.
taglit.sendarticle

taglit.sendarticle. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Simon Wiesenthal Center protested Wednesday against what it said was the failure of Romanian authorities to complete investigations in the cases of four Romanian Nazi war crimes suspects. The Los Angeles-based center tracked the suspects down during an operation launched in Romania in September 2003. The suspects, who were not identified, are alleged to have participated actively in the persecution and murder of Jews in several places in Romania during World War II. The center sent letters outlining their protest to the country's top prosecutor, Ilie Botos, and to a prosecutor in charge with the international cooperation in the case. "It would be a mockery of the memory of the victims of the Holocaust in Romania if those responsible for their deaths were not held accountable due to the failure of the Romanian judicial system to bring them to trial," Efraim Zuroff, chief Nazi hunter for the Los Angeles-based group said in a statement faxed to The Associated Press. There was no immediate comment from the Romanian authorities, but last year, when the center urged Romanian authorities to speed up investigations into the case, Botos said that investigations had revealed evidence to support the allegations in at least some of the cases. Zuroff submitted the cases in February 2005. They allegedly include former members of the fascist Iron Guard, as well as Romanian Army personnel who committed crimes against Jews. Before 1940, 760,000 Jews lived in Romania. An estimated 420,000 died after being deported to concentration camps by the country's pro-Nazi ruler Ion Antonescu and the Hungarian authorities, which controlled parts of Romania during the war. There are about 6,000 Jews in Romania now. Romania's former government officially took responsibility two years ago for the actions of Romanian authorities during World War II and promised to educate the public about the Holocaust.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF