Desalinated water hits the high seas

Passengers sailing on cruise ships run by the Mano shipping line have been drinking desalinated sea water for years without even knowing it.

By MIRIAM BULWAR DAVID-HAY (TRANSLATED)
April 13, 2008 12:36
Desalinated water hits the high seas

crusie ship 88 224. (photo credit: Courtesy)

Passengers sailing on cruise ships run by the Mano shipping line have been drinking desalinated sea water for years without even knowing it, reports Yediot Haifa. Company president Moshe Mano said he could not understand the Israeli government's reluctance to build more desalination plants during the current water crisis, when his ships had been desalinating water for several years and passengers had been unable to tell the difference. According to the report, Mano's cruise ships all have desalination plants on board that provide up to 300 tons of desalinated water per day, 70 percent of the quantity of fresh water required. The remaining 30% is loaded on board in port. "The desalinated water on the ships is clean, good quality and tasty, and passengers do not suspect they are drinking desalinated sea water," Mano said. "It is hard for me to understand the policy in Israel, which is suffering from a water shortage and yet doesn't encourage desalination. We could alleviate the water crisis with desalination, and this is what the country should encourage."


Related Content

JERUSALEM: RESETTLED upon its desolation
December 19, 2010
Vying for control of the Temple Mount – on Foursquare

By SHARON UDASIN