Abbas: Israel must stop 'massacre'

Palestinian leaders condemn IDF ops in Beit Hanoun; MK Tibi: Shalit deal near.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
November 1, 2006 13:50
1 minute read.
ahmed tibi solemn 298

ahmed tibi solemn 298. (photo credit: Ori Porat)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Palestinian government called a special meeting Wednesday to discuss IDF operations taking place in Beit Hanoun, in which ten Palestinian gunmen have been killed and over 60 wounded so far. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas condemned the IDF's activities, calling them a "massacre" and an "abominable crime." He called on Israel to immediately halt all hostile activities against the Palestinian people. According to Israel Radio, Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh also called a press conference in Gaza and said that the IDF "massacre" was the first product of Israel Beiteinu Chairman Avigdor Lieberman's entry into the government. Haniyeh added that he hoped the military escalation in northern Gaza would not impact talks that were underway in Cairo for the release of kidnapped IDF soldier Cpl. Gilad Shalit, which he said seemed to be making progress. Meanwhile, Israel Radio also reported that United Arab List MK Ahmed Tibi, who met earlier Wednesday with Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit to discuss Shalit's release, said there was still a certain gap between Israel and Hamas over the issue. Tibi added that a deal for Shalit's freedom was close but would take time. Regarding the IDF activities in Gaza, Tibi said civilians were dying as a result of the IDF aggression, and that Israel was trying to reclaim the powers of deterrence it lost in the Lebanon war at the Palestinians' expense. On Tuesday, a Hamas delegation from Damascus arrived in Cairo for prisoner exchange talks with Egyptian Intelligence Chief Omar Suleiman. They were joined by US Director of National Intelligence John Negroponte. According to Israel Radio, Osama Hamdan, a Hamas representative in Lebanon, told Al Jazeera that Israel had agreed on principle to a prisoner swap, but neither the number nor the names of the Palestinian prisoners to be released had been decided.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The aftermath of an Iranian ballistic missile strike on the Koya headquarters of the KDP-I Iranian o
November 15, 2018
Senior IRGC commander: Israeli agent killed in September strikes on Kurds

By ANNA AHRONHEIM