Abbas confirms British journalist alive

Says PA government in contact with the British authorities on the case.

By
April 20, 2007 19:54
Abbas confirms British journalist alive

alan johnston 298.88. (photo credit: AP [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas repeated Friday that a British journalist kidnapped in Gaza is alive and said his government was in contact with the British authorities on the case. Alan Johnston, 44, a British Broadcasting Corp. correspondent, has not been seen or heard from since he was abducted by gunmen in Gaza City on March 12. "We are maintaining a steady contact with Britain's Foreign Office on the matter," Abbas told reporters in Sofia. "I cannot, however, provide more details because of the security of the British journalist," Abbas added. Asked whether the Palestinian authorities were capable of countering such acts, Abbas complained of serious security problems because of the "deliberately destroyed infrastructure." "This has allowed several similar incidents to happen in recent months," Abbas said. "Due to our adequate reaction, however, some of the kidnapped have been released." On Thursday, Abbas said he knew which group was holding Johnston, but would not say whether any contact had been established with the captors. On Sunday, a previously unknown group, the Brigades of Tawheed and Jihad, said it had killed Johnston to support demands for the release of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel. There has been no confirmation of the claim.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
October 20, 2018
Trump comments after Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi died in consulate

By REUTERS/AZIZ EL YAAKOUBI/JEFF MASON/YARA BAYOUMY