Arab League calls for 'new approach' to ME conflict

Nabil Elaraby says focus should be on ending the "occupation," rather than "wasting time" with temporary agreements.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
January 14, 2013 20:12
1 minute read.
Arab League head Nabil Elaraby

Elaraby 311. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby on Monday called for a “new approach” to resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, AFP reported.

“In order to solve this problem, we should have a new mechanism and new methods and a new approach to dealing with the crisis,” Elaraby was quoted as saying.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“The main target after all these wasted years should be ending the Israeli occupation, not signing temporary agreements that would go round in circles and that would only lead to wasting time in a way that allows Israel to expand its settlements,” he added.

Last month, Elaraby described the Quartet on the Middle East - comprising the United States, European Union, United Nations and Russia - as ineffective.

Al-Arabi's statements come on the heels of a visit to the West Bank late last month, the first-ever by an Arab League secretary-general.

Palestinian envoy to the Arab League Muhammad Sbeih said that Elaraby met with PA President Mahmoud Abbas during the trip, which was meant to demonstrate Arab solidarity with the Palestinians following the PA's successful bid to upgrade its UN status to non-member state and also to discuss ways to revive moribund Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

At the time, Elaraby also vowed that the Arab League would hold “consultations” with its members to ensure that they met their commitments toward the Palestinians.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


“Arab countries agreed at their Baghdad summit [in March] for an Arab safety net of $100m. each month, but unfortunately none of this has been achieved yet,” he said. “We must admit that Palestine needs material and political support,” Elaraby concluded.

To date, however, the financial aid has not been forthcoming.

In this regard, Fatah official Ahmed Assaf on Monday accused Arab countries of succumbing to US pressure by refusing to channel funds to the PA.

Also on Monday, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat reiterated the PA's refusal to return to the negotiating table unless Israel halted settlement construction and released Palestinian prisoners.

Khaled Abu Toameh contributed to this report

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A general view of the attack during the military parade in Ahvaz, Iran, 2018
September 24, 2018
Iran warns U.S. and Israel of revenge after deadly parade attack

By REUTERS