Top Arab diplomats began discussions Sunday to try to hammer out a response to the Israeli military offensive in the Gaza Strip, which saw more than 50 people killed over a few days last week.
The meeting was overshadowed by a US veto Saturday of a UN Security Council draft resolution that condemns the IDF action and demands that IDF troops pull out of the territory. Sunday's discussions were attended by 11 Arab foreign ministers and other senior officials and diplomats at the Cairo headquarters of the Arab League.
"There should be a unified Arab stance in support of the Palestinians against what Israeli is doing," said the League's Undersecretary General Mohammed Sobeih, a Palestinian diplomat.
He said the Arab officials may consider asking the UN General Assembly to debate what he called the "Israeli massacres" after the American veto in the Council.
"It is shocking. Every time the United States exercises its veto power, it gives a license to Israeli extremists and generals whose hands are stained with Palestinian blood," Sobeih said.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>