Barrage of rockets, mortar shells from Gaza hits South

At least 12 projectiles fired at Gaza-belt communities in 24 hour period; attacks following Hamas threats to unleash a wave of terror in hopes of derailing peace talks.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 15, 2010 14:16
2 minute read.
Mortar shells fired from the Gaza Strip

mortars from gaza hamas 298. (photo credit: AP [file])

A stream of mortar and rocket fire from the Gaza Strip continued to rain down on southern Israel on Wednesday in an apparent Hamas attempt to fulfill threats of violence meant to derail Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

A total of nine mortar shells and as many as three Kassam-type rockets hit areas bordering Gaza in the latest barrage, which began in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
IAF bombs Gaza after Rosh Hashana Kassam attacks
10th rocket hits South since High Holidays began


In the most recent attack, three mortar shells fired from the Gaza Strip landed in the Eshkol Regional Council region on Wednesday afternoon. Around midday, four mortar shells were fired into southern Israel, also landing in the Eshkol region. No injuries or damage were reported in either attack.

A Code Red alarm sounded in the same area about an hour after the mortar attacks, followed by a loud explosion, believed to be a Kassam-type rocket. No one was injured in the attack.

Earlier on Wednesday, two mortar shells fired from the Gaza Strip landed in the same area, injuring no one. Two rockets were fired from Gaza several hours before the mortar attacks. A Kassam-type rocket exploded south of Ashkelon, causing no injuries or damage. Security forces were searching for the location of the second rocket.

On Tuesday, one Palestinian was killed and at least four were wounded after the IDF returned fire in response to a terrorist attack in the northern Gaza Strip.

The IDF said that a force operating near the fence came under anti-tank fire and responded with tank shells and light gunfire. One of the terrorists was killed and four others were wounded.

Ahmed Jaabari, leader of Hamas’ military wing, issued a rare statement threatening a wave of violence intended to derail the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian peace talks on Tuesday.

On Sunday, three Palestinians were killed after one of them picked up an RPG found in a field near the security fence and aimed it at nearby IDF troops. Two of those killed – a 91-yearold man and his grandson – were later identified by the IDF as innocent civilians who were not involved in terrorist activity.

Rocket attacks from Gaza have increased since before the Rosh Hashana holiday. Predictions in the defense establishment are that Hamas will continue to carry out attacks against Israel as the peace talks progress.

Commander of the Gaza Division Brig.-Gen. Eyal Eisenberg said that the IDF held Hamas responsible.

“The Gaza Strip is controlled by Hamas, which is a terrorist organization,” he said. “Hamas is in control of the territory and we hold it responsible for what happens in the Strip.”


Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meets Panama President Juan Carlos Varela
May 21, 2018
Netanyahu hints Iran behind Panama plane bombing in 1994

By HERB KEINON