Bethlehem man indicted for buying from settlement

Palestinian merchant charged with “carrying out commercial transactions with residents of a hostile state”; being held in PA prison.

By
November 5, 2010 03:03
1 minute read.
boycott israel biz 88

boycott israel biz 88. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

In the first case of its kind, a Palestinian merchant from Bethlehem has been indicted for violating a Palestinian Authority call to boycott goods made in settlements.

The man, who has not been identified, has been charged with “carrying out commercial transactions with residents of a hostile state,” the Bethlehem-based Maan news agency reported.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
PA to continue settlement goods boycott

The man, who is being held in a PA prison in Bethlehem, was caught trying to bring wood products manufactured in a settlement into the city, said Amin Abu Akil, director of Customs Authority in the Bethlehem area.

He added that the man was planning to distribute the banned products in the Bethlehem area.

A PA magistrate’s court remanded the suspect into custody until the end of proceedings.

Earlier this year, the PA announced a boycott of all goods produced in settlements.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Economics Minister Hassan Abu Libdeh said that the PA government confiscated $1 million worth of products, including foods, cosmetics and hardware. The objective is to eliminate all settlement-made goods from Palestinian stores in 2010, he explained.

In March, PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad launched the National Honor Fund, which will promote the availability of Palestinian produce in local markets and strengthen the position of Palestinian goods in global markets as an alternative to products manufactured in settlements.

The PA has also moved to ban Palestinians from working in settlements.

PA Labor Minister Ahmad Majdalani expressed hope that by the end of the year there will be no Palestinians working in settlements. However, many Palestinian workers continue to ignore the call.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

September 25, 2018
Iran, major powers agree to work on nuclear deal despite U.S. sanctions

By REUTERS