Blast wounds French UNIFIL troops in Lebanon

At least seven wounded, including two passersby; attack follows May, July attacks on UNIFIL peacekeepers.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
December 9, 2011 11:20
2 minute read.
UN peacekeepers after bomb attack [illustrative]

UNIFIL 311 R. (photo credit: REUTERS/Ali Hashisho)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

TYRE - A roadside bomb wounded five French peacekeepers in southern Lebanon on Friday, in the third attack this year on United Nations forces deployed near the frontier with Israel.

The blast hit a jeep carrying French UNIFIL troops on the outskirts of the Mediterranean port city of Tyre.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Lebanese rockets - an indirect message?
Opinion: All eyes on Hezbollah

"I can confirm that a UNIFIL vehicle was hit by an explosion in Tyre," UNIFIL spokesman Andrea Tenenti said. "Five peacekeepers were injured."

The attack follows bombings in May and July against French and Italian peacekeepers and comes as the United Nations prepares a review of its 12,000-strong operation, which was beefed up after the Second Lebanon War in 2006.

A Reuters reporter saw a jeep with its windows blown out and several wounded peacekeepers at the scene minutes after the explosion in the Burj al-Shamali district on the eastern edge of Tyre.

Most of the injuries were light but medical sources said one of the UNIFIL soldiers was badly wounded.



Security sources said two passersby were also hurt.

Italy reduced its contribution to UNIFIL to 1,100 soldiers from 1,800 after six of its peacekeepers were wounded in May, although diplomats said the decision to cut its contingent had been taken before the attack.

Two months later six French soldiers were wounded in another attack.

International community: Attack is 'disgraceful'

Tenenti said Friday's bombing would "not divert us from our task" and Lebanon's Prime Minister Najib Mikati also said the peacekeepers would continue their mission.

"Lebanon considers these attacks as targeting its own security and stability, not only UNIFIL," Mikati said. "These attacks will not have an influence on UNIFIL's work in the south, nor on the French contingent... Lebanon, as a state and people, are in solidarity with the international forces and condemn attacks against them."

Lebanese President Michel Suleiman alleged that the attack was designed to force UNIFIL's withdrawal from the country and to obstruct its work in the South, according to the Lebanese Daily Star newspaper.

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said Paris would "not be intimidated by such disgraceful acts", urging Lebanon to bring the perpetrators to justice and ensure the safety and freedom of movement of UN forces.

The UN Security Council called in August for a review of UNIFIL operations in Lebanon by the end of the year, aimed partly at assessing whether the Lebanese army could assume greater role in operations. Diplomats say the results of the review are unlikely to be issued for several months.

The border area has remained relatively quiet since 2006, although 10 Palestinian demonstrators were killed in May after troops fired upon protesters near the shared border at Marun Aras.

Last year a senior IDF officer, two Lebanese soldiers and a Lebanese journalist were killed when Lebanese and Israeli troops clashed at the border.

Related Content

July 22, 2018
Israel evacuates hundreds of Syrian White Helmets in humanitarian effort

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN