Brazilian tourists kidnapped by Sinai Beduin gunmen

Kidnappers of 2 women looking to negotiate release of prisoners held by gov't, Egyptian security sources say.

By REUTERS
March 18, 2012 18:25
1 minute read.
Sinai

Sinai 300. (photo credit: Reuters)

ISMAILIA, Egypt - Gunmen kidnapped two Brazilian tourists traveling through Egypt's Sinai Peninsula on Sunday after a visit to an isolated mountain monastery, Egyptian security sources said.

The gunmen were believed to be Beduin who wanted hostages to negotiate the release of prisoners held by the government, the sources said.

They stopped a bus carrying a group of tourists to St. Catherine's Monastery but only took the two Brazilian women. The government was contacting local Beduin sheikhs to try to negotiate the women's release, the sources added.

Beduin tribesmen in the Sinai have in the past attacked police stations, blocked access to towns and taken hostages to show their discontent with what they see as poor treatment from Cairo and to press for the release of jailed kinsmen.

Last month, two American women were held in a short-lived kidnapping until Egyptian authorities negotiated their release a few hours later. Two dozen Chinese cement factory workers were also kidnapped last month and released a day later.

Dozens of armed Beduin this month encircled a camp belonging to a multinational peacekeeping force in the Sinai for eight days before lifting their siege on Friday after negotiations with the Egyptian army.

Those Beduin had also been trying to pressure the Egyptian authorities to release tribesmen from jail.


Related Content

A satellite image showing damage to oil/gas Saudi Aramco infrastructure at Khurais, in Saudi Arabia
September 16, 2019
U.S. officials: Evidence shows Iran behind Saudi oil attacks

By ALON EINHORN, REUTERS