British sapper dies in cluster bomb explosion in south Lebanon

By
October 11, 2007 16:06

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A British demining expert was killed Thursday in an explosion from a cluster bomb in southern Lebanon left over from last year's Second Lebanon War, a UN spokeswoman said Thursday. The explosion went off as the explosives expert was sweeping for mines and other ordnance in Bint Jbeil province between the villages of Kounin and Ainata, killing him instantly, said Dalya Farran, a spokeswoman for the United Nations Mine Action Coordination Center (MACC). The man, whose identity was not revealed pending notification of next of kin, was working as a supervisor for ArmorGroup, a British-based company that has been clearing unexploded ordnance and cluster bombs in south Lebanon for MACC since September last year. The United Nations and human rights groups accuse Israel of dropping about four million cluster bomblets during last year's July-August war with Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas. UN ordnance-clearing experts say that up to 1 million failed to explode and now endanger civilians in the area.

Related Content

US President Donald Trump
August 15, 2018
U.S. is trying to make Iran 'surrender' through sanctions

By REUTERS