Egypt: French, Belgian terror suspects to be deported

Egypt said Monday that suspects had formed a militant cell that was plotting attacks in Middle East.

By
December 7, 2006 01:09
1 minute read.
Egypt Sinai terror trial

egypt terror 298 88 ap. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Egyptian officials plan to deport eight French citizens and two Belgians arrested as part of a suspected terror cell on Thursday morning, Egyptian officials said. Security was tight at the Cairo International Airport in Egypt's capital Wednesday night when the Europeans arrived ahead of a special flight bound for Brussels then Paris, an airport official said. An Interior Ministry official confirmed the number and nationalities of those who were being deported. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to give information to the media. It wasn't immediately clear what would happen to an American and another French citizen arrested as part of the same cell. But it appeared that Egyptian authorities wanted to keep the other suspects for questioning. Earlier Wednesday another Interior Ministry official said French and Egyptian authorities were negotiating the deportation of seven of the nine French arrested earlier in the week. The Egyptian Interior Ministry announced Monday that it had arrested nine French and the American, along with two Belgians and several others from Egypt and other Arab countries. The ministry said they were living in Egypt under the guise of studying Arabic and Islamic studies but had formed a militant cell that was plotting attacks in Middle Eastern countries including Iraq. No further details were given. On Tuesday, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack criticized Egypt for refusing to grant US Embassy officials timely access to the arrested American. Egyptian authorities told US officials that no access will be granted until the investigation is completed, he said. The identities of the American and the others arrested have not been disclosed. French consular officials have been allowed to visit their detained citizens, French Foreign Ministry spokesman Jean-Baptiste Mattei said. He said Paris prosecutors have opened their own preliminary investigation into the group. Egypt has witnessed a string of suicide terror attacks in recent years at Sinai Peninsula tourist resorts. Egypt operates under emergency laws, which gives the government wide powers to detain suspects without charging them. The laws have been in place since the assassination of President Anwar Sadat in 1981 despite a growing chorus of opposition from both inside and outside the country.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Nassib border crossing
October 15, 2018
Jordan and Syria reopen Nassib border crossing

By REUTERS