Egyptian honor guard in Cairo 311 (R).
(photo credit: REUTERS/Amel Pain/Pool)
CAIRO - Egypt's foreign minister told an Israeli official on Thursday that Cairo was committed to its international treaties, Egypt's foreign ministry said, reiterating that the countries' peace accord is secure.
RELATED:Egyptians vote overwhelmingly for constitutional reforms'No doubt Egyptian army will honor peace with Israel'Egypt committee charges Mubarak of killing protesters
It was the first publicly announced meeting between an Egyptian and an Israeli official since Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was toppled from power on Feb. 11 and handed power to the military.
A day after it took power, the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed
Forces said it was committed to Egypt's international treaties in an
early message to reassure Jerusalem and the United States.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Nabil Elaraby, appointed as part of a
reshuffle earlier this month, reiterated that message in a meeting in
Cairo with Rafi Barak, a senior Foreign Ministry official, the statement
The peace accord with Egypt in 1979 was Israel's first with an Arab country and has been a cornerstone of the state's security.
Elaraby also discussed the need for serious efforts to realize "justice
and comprehensive peace," and the situation in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip.
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
On Gaza, Elaraby confirmed Egypt's "firm position on the need to take
into consideration the humanitarian issues and holds Israel responsible
for them as an occupying force."
Egypt has played a role in the blockade on the territory.
Egypt's policy towards Gaza was the focus of heavy criticism from many
in Egypt, particularly in the last year when Mubarak's government began
building an underground barrier to thwart tunnelers who were supplying
goods to Gaza underground.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>