An explosion, possibly from ordnance from last year's war against Hezbollah, killed a Syrian worker and wounded four people Tuesday in a remote area in northeastern Lebanon, witnesses and security officials said.
The victims were working in a field in the As-Sawah village around 80 kilometers (50 miles) northwest of the city of Baalbek when they picked up a strange looking object. The object exploded, killing Mahmoud al-Arab, 24, and wounding four others, including a 13-year old girl.
A witness, Khaled Hussein, said al-Arab was instantly killed while some of the others were seriously wounded.
Police were investigating the incident. Security officials said the blast was possibly caused by an Israeli cluster bomb from the war last summer. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with military regulations.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>