Fatah man wounded in Gaza gunbattle

Argument over control of training base spurs worst violence since Mecca accord.

March 5, 2007 15:11
1 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services2. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A Fatah-affiliated security officer was wounded on Monday in a daytime Hamas-Fatah gunbattle in the worst outbreak of internal violence since rival Palestinian factions agreed to form a unity government last month, security officials said. The gunbattle broke out in Gaza City when Hamas and Fatah loyalists argued over who had control of a nearby training compound, security officials said.

  • Abbas, Haniyeh fail to make progress The Fatah-allied security forces demanded the Hamas gunmen leave the area, but they refused, saying it fell under the control of the Hamas-controlled Interior Ministry, security officials said. There were no injuries. In two other incidents, unknown assailants fired shots at the house and car of a senior security officer who has had past problems with Hamas, security officials said. Shots were also fired at a police headquarters, and police returned fire, the security officials said. The fighting came as negotiators from Hamas and Fatah tried to resolve lingering issues over a national unity government. Hamas, which won parliamentary elections last year, and Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah Party agreed last month to form the coalition government, partly in hopes of ending months of deadly street battles between the two groups. Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas said Monday that talks on the government were not done. "The Palestinian government won't finish discussions or be announced before the end of next week," he said. Haniyeh has two more weeks to form a government.

    Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

  • Related Content

    A poster of Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah in southern Lebanon
    April 23, 2019
    U.S. offering $10 million for info on Hezbollah's financial mechanisms