'Fatah officials to board upcoming Gaza flotilla'

Shaath says his group doesn't need authorization from Israel "to reach our homeland;" Fatah to take part in planned effort to lift Gaza blockade.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
April 21, 2011 11:59
1 minute read.
The Jerusalem Post

nabil shaath 311. (photo credit: BLOOMBERG)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Senior Fatah Central Committee member Nabil Shaath said on Thursday that his organization will join the next flotilla to Gaza in May.

Senior Fatah officials will be allowed to take part in the aid flotilla, Shaath told Radio A-Shams, because it is a humanitarian effort meant to lift the blockade on Gaza.

RELATED:
BBC: Flotilla program overall was accurate and impartial
Ban urged to take a public stand against next IHH flotilla

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


When asked if the officials would require permission from Hamas or the IDF, Shaath said "we don't need authorization to reach our homeland - not from Hamas and not from Israeli security forces."

The flotilla is planning to set sail at the end of May, marking the one-year anniversary to the Mavi Marmara incident – the first Gaza flotilla where nine Turks were killed when they attacked IDF commandos trying to keep their ship from reaching Gaza’s shores.

Earlier this month, IHH President Bulent Yildrim said that his organization and the Mavi Marmara ship would participate in the flotilla.

"This is not Israel's Mediterranean Sea," Yildrim said, according to Turkish newspaper Zaman. "We are not afraid to become martyrs."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jordan's King Abdullah II (R) greets Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
October 21, 2018
King Abdullah declines to renew part of Jordan's peace deal with Israel

By HERB KEINON