A fire destroyed a shantytown in downtown Cairo on Tuesday, leaving about 1,000 people homeless, police and fire fighters said.
Five people were injured in the fire that engulfed Qalaat el-Kabash and destroyed some 250 wooden and cardboard shacks, said a police officer on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Lt. Gen. Hassan Khazem of the Cairo fire department said the fire may have been caused by an explosion of a faulty gas cylinder.
But a second police officer said the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>