Hamas-Fatah clashes erupt on election day

Unrest erupted in a number of villages near Jenin and Hebron.

January 25, 2006 22:36
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Defusing feuds between rival clans by deploying Palestinian policemen from Hebron was the most serious task undertaken by the joint Israeli-Palestinian coordination team set up especially for the Palestinian elections. Israeli security officials breathed a sigh of relief Wednesday night after the Palestinian elections had run their course without major disruptions. "There was no need for IDF intervention; things ran smoothly, the only disturbances were internal ones," a security official said. Unrest between Hamas and Fatah activists did erupt in a number of villages near Jenin and Hebron, and in some cases gunshots resulted. On Wednesday morning the coordination team - manned by Civil Administration personnel and their PA security counterparts - received a request to coordinate the entry of a group of 10 Palestinian policemen to a village near Hebron. The police were dispatched to restore order after a dispute erupted near a polling station between two clans. Palestinian media reports said clan members who are Hamas supporters threw stones at Fatah supporters. By the time the policemen had restored calm, 12 people had been wounded in the fracas, including one policeman. Later in the day, there was the need to coordinate the deployment of Palestinian policemen from Hebron again to deal with unrest in Ein Fawar, after a gun battle erupted between Hamas and Fatah members. In villages in the Jenin area, where Palestinian policemen were already deployed, local disturbances were dealt with quickly. In one village near Jenin, Hamas supporters attempted to set fire to an election booth. At checkpoints surrounding Ramallah, soldiers and security forces stood idly Wednesday morning, having little to do but check an occasional vehicle. "It's quiet," said a soldier manning the checkpoint near the Beit El military court up the road from the Ayosh Junction. At Beitunya, soldiers waved a number of trucks through the checkpoint. "Nothing happening here," said one soldier. At the nearby Ofer Prison facility, relatives and lawyers queued patiently, waiting to visit inmates. By nightfall at the joint coordination room, set up at the IDF's Judea and Samaria division headquarters, officials were still deciding whether there was a need to continue operating for another day.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

An Iranian oil tanker,
July 19, 2019
Gibraltar extends detention of Iranian tanker to Aug. 15


Cookie Settings