Hamas agrees to withdraw Gaza militia

Private force "to be in places away from public"; PA official escapes hit.

June 7, 2006 15:03
1 minute read.
pals with guns 298.88

pals with guns 298.88. (photo credit: AP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Hamas-led government agreed on Wednesday to withdraw a controversial private militia from the public areas in the Gaza Strip, in an agreement with the rival Fatah movement aimed at halting weeks of bloody infighting. The agreement came after hours of talks mediated by Egyptian diplomats. The black-clad Hamas militia has been at the center of the power struggle. "They are going to be in places away from the public. They are not going to be visible to people," said government spokesman Ghazi Hamad. Under the arrangement, the militia is to be folded into the official Palestinian police force, he said. Hours before the meeting, however, a senior police official escaped an apparent assassination attempt when a bomb went off prematurely, injuring an assailant. The attempt to halt the violence came amid a deeper disagreement over an ultimatum by Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas for Hamas to accept the 1967 borderline or face a referendum on the idea. Abbas has given Hamas until the weekend to respond. In the latest violence, a commander in the Fatah-dominated police force in northern Gaza said a group of gunmen tried to detonate a bomb near his house early Wednesday. "Some gunmen set up this device near the entrance to my house. While they were doing this, it went off and one of the gunmen was injured in his hand," said the commander, Omar Khadoura. The incident followed a grenade attack on a pro-Fatah security headquarters in Gaza on Tuesday that wounded three maintenance workers. Fatah blamed Hamas for both attacks. Participants issued a joint statement pledging to reduce tensions and continue talks. "Instructions have been given to the members of both movements to avoid tension and not to react to any incitement in the streets without getting back to their leaders," the statement said. The talks did not discuss Abbas' referendum plan. Backing away from open confrontation, Abbas on Tuesday put off his ultimatum for Hamas to accept a document that implies recognition of Israel or face the voters. Hamas welcomed the offer to continue talks, but said it will not cave in to deadlines. It has demanded changes in the language and called for more time to discuss it. "I get a sense there is a positive attitude in the national dialogue. But it still needs more time," Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, a top Hamas leader, said Wednesday.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani
May 24, 2019
Rouhani accuses ‘Zionists’ of writing US officials’ anti-Iranian speeches