Hamas bans popular TV talk show

'Red Line' talk show addresses legal issues of current situation in Gaza.

By
August 1, 2007 18:47
2 minute read.
Hamas bans popular TV talk show

Hamas takes control 298.. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Hamas Ministry of Information on Wednesday ordered the Ramattan News Agency and Media Services to stop broadcasting a popular TV show that dealt with the current situation in the Gaza Strip. The agency had been recording and broadcasting the show on behalf of Fatah-controlled Palestine TV ever since Hamas took control over the Gaza Strip. Palestine TV, which has since stopped broadcasting for the Gaza Strip, is now using its Ramallah studios only. But like most stations, Palestine TV has been forced to use the services of Ramattan, the largest agency for television productions in the Gaza Strip. On Wednesday morning, the Ramattan staff received a letter from the Hamas Ministry of Information instructing the agency to stop broadcasting the talk show, which is called Red Line. The program is presented by Palestinian author and journalist Hassan al-Kashef, a former director-general of the PA Ministry of Information. Hamas justified the decision to drop the talk show by claiming that the fate of Palestine TV in the Gaza Strip had yet to be decided following the latest developments there. The last show, which was aired last Wednesday, dealt with the legal issues pertaining to Hamas's violent takeover of the Gaza Strip and the role of the Palestinian security forces in imposing law and order. Three Palestinian lawyers working for different human rights groups who appeared on the show were critical of Hamas's performance in the Gaza Strip. Kashef, who lives in the Gaza Strip, said no one from Hamas informed him of the decision to drop his show. He said the order was sent to Ramattan, which relayed it to the heads of Palestine TV in Ramallah. The decision to ban the talk show comes only days after Hamas banned the distribution of Fatah-controlled newspapers in the Gaza Strip. Hamas justified the ban by accusing the newspapers, which are published in east Jerusalem and Ramallah, of inciting against Hamas. Tawfik Abu Khoussa, deputy chairman of the Fatah-dominated Palestinian Journalists Syndicate, strongly condemned the decision to prevent the airing of the talk show. "The Hamas authority in the Gaza Strip is pursuing a policy of systematic intimidation and repression against the freedom of expression," he said. "Hamas is trying to hide its crimes in the Gaza Strip by imposing restrictions on the work of journalists and terrorizing them." In another development, Hamas's military wing, Izzadin Kassam, on Wednesday issued an ultimatum to the PA security forces in the West Bank to release all Hamas detainees or face attacks. A man who identified himself as Abu Jaheem (Father of Hell) on Wednesday told the Bethlehem-based Maan news agency Hamas will use rockets and explosives to attack the headquarters of the security forces. The man claimed to be speaking on behalf of an armed Hamas group in the northern West Bank. He also claimed responsibility for Tuesday night's explosion outside the PA's central prison in Nablus, where scores of Hamas detainees are being held. No one was hurt in the attack. Kamal al-Sheikh, commander of the PA police in the West Bank, warned Hamas against targeting his men or PA security installations. "We will chase them wherever they go," he said Wednesday. "We won't allow them to harm any of our men. Hamas is not above the law in the West Bank."

Related Content

Palestinians demonstrate in the Old City of Jerusalem, 1937
July 17, 2018
Palestinians slam Saudi documentary about Israel’s founding

By MENACHEM SHLOMO