'Hamas won't attack ahead of ME summit'

Zahar: Labor, Likud want to hamper PM ahead of Annapolis; reiterates Schalit threat if prisoners hurt.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
October 27, 2007 14:26
zahar rally 298.88

Zahar 248.88. (photo credit: AP [file])

Top Hamas leader, Mahmoud Zahar, denied Saturday that his organization was planning a large attack against Israel in order to sabotage the upcoming Annapolis summit. According to Zahar, "Actually, those interested in such a thing are the Israeli Labor and Likud Parties, who are searching for a way to hamper Olmert and are also looking for a reason to attack Hamas." Regarding kidnapped soldier Gilad Schalit, Zahar said that negotiations for a prisoner exchange were at a deadlock, and that Hamas had no intention of compromising its demands that Israel release prisoners whose names were given to Israel by Egyptian mediators. Zahar said that he rejected a request by the Red Cross to receive more information about Schalit's condition. He reiterated a threat made recently by Hamas that the captured soldier may be harmed if more Palestinian prisoners are hurt in Israeli jails, referring to a prison riot at Ketziot prison earlier in the week in which several Palestinian inmates were wounded. According to Army Radio, Zahar made the comments during an interview with the Arab-language newspaper, Al-Hadat, which is published in the Galilee city of Tamra.


Related Content

June 22, 2018
IMF urges Lebanon to make 'immediate and substantial' fiscal adjustment

By REUTERS