Haniyeh claims he was targeted with poison gas

August 7, 2006 16:49
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Palestinians launched an investigation Monday after seven people were hospitalized when one of them opened a suspicious envelope addressed to Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, officials said. Haniyeh, a leader of the militant Hamas group who heads the Palestinian government, said he believed this may have been an Israeli attempt to kill him with "poison gas." "We don't rule out the involvement of the Israeli security services, which indicates a dangerous mentality," he said in a speech to the Palestinian Parliament in Gaza. The Palestinian Cabinet building in the West Bank city of Ramallah, where the envelope was delivered, was evacuated, said Deputy Prime Minister Nasser Shaer. The envelope contained an orange tissue that emitted a strong smell, said Shaer's office manager Abdel Basit Moatian, who opened the mail. Moatian said it had a Tel Aviv postmark. Israel has tried to poison Palestinian leaders in the past and there were widespread rumors that Israel poisoned the late-Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, an accusation Israel vehemently denied. Israeli officials declined to comment on the report. A security guard who handled the envelope and another woman who was in the room at the time were hospitalized and given oxygen, local hospital director Hosni Atari said. Atari said they were complaining of strong headaches and had fainted, but were now conscious. Five other people who came in contact with the envelope, including Moatian, were briefly admitted for checks, he said. "It was a bad, bad strong smell," said Ghader Ismail, the woman who was hospitalized. Palestinian officials said it was not clear what the substance was or if it may have been an attempt to a member of the Hamas government. After Hamas won January parliamentary elections, Israel boycotted the Palestinian Authority, refusing to deal with a group it considers a terror organization. In June, Hamas-linked militants from Gaza attacked and Israeli army post and captured a soldier, a raid that sparked a wide-scale Israeli offensive in Gaza. "I can't rule out that someone was targeting someone in government, but I can't confirm this," Deputy Health Minister Anan Al Masri said. "I can confirm that there was a strange substance," he said, adding that tests were being carried out to determine what it was. Moatian said workers in the building became suspicious of the envelope because it was mailed to Haniyeh in the West Bank, even though Haniyeh lives in Gaza and is banned from traveling to the West Bank by Israel.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

July 19, 2019
Iraqi militias bombed by unmanned aircraft, one killed - security sources


Cookie Settings