IAF bombs Gaza targets after Kassam attack

Hamas Armed Palestinian

By JPOST.COM STAFF
November 21, 2009 17:43
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

After reacting with little enthusiasm to reports Saturday that Hamas had reached an agreement with other Gaza terror groups to stop firing rockets at the western Negev, Israel bombed targets belonging to the Islamist organization overnight Saturday in response to a Kassam attack. Two weapons-manufacturing facilities in the northern and central Gaza, and one smuggling tunnel in the Rafah border area, were hit in the IAF raid, the army said. Palestinian sources said six people were wounded in the strikes. According to the IDF Spokesperson's Office, the attack came in response to a Kassam launched at an Israeli civilian area earlier Saturday. The rocket hit the Sha'ar Hanegev region, causing no casualties or damage. The IDF said it would not tolerate any attacks by terror organizations against Israel and its citizens, adding that nearly 270 rockets and mortar shells had been fired at the South since the end of Operation Cast Lead on January 18, in comparison to over 3300 rockets and mortars fired in the year before the operation. The last month had seen approximately 15 rockets and mortar shells fired at Israel from Gaza, said the army. Hamas's interior minister, Fathi Hamad, had told reporters Saturday that the agreement to stop attacks from Gaza had been made to avoid IDF reactions. Hamad added, however, that if Israel sent soldiers into the Strip, the armed groups would be given "free rein to respond." In response, an official in the Prime Minister's Office said Hamas would "be judged by its actions, not its words." Under the agreement, rockets will only be fired in retaliation for Israeli aggression, Hamad said. The Hamas official also told reporters that the aim of the agreement was to "enable people to rebuild" after Operation Cast Lead last winter. Nevertheless, as if to validate Israel's pessimism regarding the reported deal, the Islamic Jihad denied such an agreement had been reached, saying Sunday that it reserved the right to continue its "legitimate resistance." Herb Keinon contributed to this report

Related Content

July 19, 2018
Sources close to Netanyahu: Trump knew the Iran nuclear deal was bad

By HERB KEINON, MICHAEL WILNER