ICC: We have 'great evidence' against Gaddafi son

Libya's new government, ICC have wrestled with who would try Saif al-Islam Gaddafi since his capture in November.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
April 20, 2012 10:58
1 minute read.
Saif al-Islam, former Libya leader Gaddafi's son

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Libya Free TV via Reuters TV)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

International Criminal Court (ICC) chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said Thursday that Libyan prosecutors have collected "great evidence" against the son of former dictator Moammar Gaddafi, according to a CNN report.

Libya's new government and the ICC have wrestled with who would try Saif al-Islam Gaddafi since he was captured in November 2011.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


On February 26, 2011, the United Nations Security Council referred a number of Libya war crimes cases to the ICC Prosecutor. On June 27, 2011, the ICC issued three arrest warrants for Muammar Mohammed Abu Minyar Gaddafi, Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi and Abdullah Al-Senussi for crimes against humanity.

The two other suspects besides Saif remain at large.

Earlier this month, the ICC demanded that Libya hand Saif over to be brought to trial for crimes against humanity, but Libya appealed the decision.

Libyan interim Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Keib told CNN that Gadhafi could "absolutely" get a fair trial in Libya and that he Libyans, not the ICC, should bring him to justice.

"We intend to project the real image of the new Libya," he said. Questioned about human rights groups' doubts that Libya can provide Saif a balanced trial, he responded: "I can guarantee you that we will prove them wrong, we are ready ... to go and give him the proper justice and a fair trial."



The ICC prosecutor visited Libya on Thursday where he said it was possible that the ICC would drop its objections to Libya holding the trial.

Moreno-Ocampo added that Libyan prosecutors disclosed to him that they had interviewed witnesses, gathered phone intercepts and documents and possessed specific evidence showing Saif allegedly perpetrating crimes with his own hands, not just ordering it, he said to CNN.

"Now Libya has to present this to the judges. And they promised to do that," he added.

Related Content

Mike Pompeo
August 18, 2018
Can Pompeo’s Iran Action Group deliver what Trump promised?

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN