IDF pulls out of northern Gaza

Five Palestinians killed in IAF strike against terror cells in Gaza.

By
July 27, 2006 15:53
1 minute read.
IDF pulls out of northern Gaza

IAF strike 298.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Five Palestinians were killed in clashes with the IDF on Thursday, including a 75-year-old woman and a child, one day after the Gaza Strip suffered its deadliest violence since Israel launched its offensive last month. Early Friday, Israeli troops and tanks pulled out of northern Gaza, residents said, after a two-day sweep. In southern Gaza, Israeli aircraft hit a metal workshop in the city of Khan Younis early Friday, wounding nine people, including two children, hospital officials said. Nearby buildings were also damaged, and rescue workers were searching through the rubble. The military said the target was a weapons storehouse. The IDF and air force have been attacking the Gaza Strip to try to stop terrorists from firing rockets at southern Israel. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said the situation in the Palestinian areas and Lebanon was only likely to get worse after world leaders failed to agree on an immediate cease-fire at a summit in Rome on Wednesday. In Algiers, Abbas said the situation in the Palestinian areas and Lebanon would further escalate because of the failure of leaders to agree on an immediate cease-fire at the Rome meeting. "The situation will worsen and the consequences will be very heavy, not only for the region but probably for the entire world," he told Algeria's official APS news agency. In Gaza on Thursday, a 75-year-old woman was hit by shrapnel from a tank shell fired at her house near the town of Jebaliya, Palestinian security officials said. Late Thursday, a 12-year-old boy was killed by Israeli gunfire as he stood on the roof of his house at the edge of the Jebaliya camp across from IDF forces, residents and hospital officials said. The army said it did not know of either incident, but Israeli forces were trying to keep civilian casualties to a minimum and regretted loss of innocent lives. The air force fired missiles at eastern Gaza City, killing a Hamas terrorist and wounding 14 others. The army said the attack hit a group of armed men before they could fire at troops.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Turkey Investigating Khashoggi Murder
October 21, 2018
The 'Khashoggi Affair': Little New Under The Saudi Arabian Sun

By CHARLES BYBELEZER/THE MEDIA LINE